3 Essential practices:
- Balance Blood Sugar with a low glycemic diet: the glycation theory of ageing tells us that excess sugar in the blood will react with protein in the skin causing cross-linking and collagen damage, that means wrinkles to you and me!
- Eat a diet high in antioxidant rich plant foods: one of the primary causes of ageing is oxidative stress which causes damage on the inside and outside. Reactive Oxygen species (ROS) damage DNA, fats and proteins in the body thus leading to ageing. ROS are molecules that are a natural byproduct of metabolism but are extremely reactive in the body and this damage can go unchecked if we are eating poorly and leading an unhealthy lifestyle. Antioxidants help the body to manage ROS action, so a diet high in antioxidant rich plant foods is vital to minimising damage and giving you that youthful glow that comes from a phytonutrient rich diet.
- Reduce Stress: high levels of cortisol increase oxidative stress. Meditation and exercise are both useful. Yoga is an extremely beneficial practice and many devotees swear by it’s anti-ageing effects.
3 Daily rituals:
- Hydrate: start the day with the juice of a lemon with some warm (not boiling water), this helps kick start your liver and also provides a shot of Vitamin C. Continue to drink water and herbal tea throughout the day. Try green tea for a gentle caffeine lift and an antioxidant boost.
- Skin Brushing: the skin is the largest organ in the body and is part of the detoxification process. Brushing your skin (always towards the heart) with a dry natural brush before you shower in the morning helps stimulate the lymphatic system, improve circulation and promotes detoxification.
- Exercise: promotes overall health, reduces stress, promotes blood flow and will give you a glow!
3 Top Tips (or it might sound obvious, but remember to…..)
- Chew: good digestion is critical to health.
- Breathe: when was the last time you paid attention to your breathing? Breathing deeply oxygenates the cells, so the body functions at it’s best and detoxifies effectively.
- Laugh: relax, stop worrying and enjoy life!